Focus on What You May Eat!

When doing a short-term cleanse or special diet, or even in making life-long choices toward healthier eating, it’s always tempting to focus on what you may not have rather than the array of delightful options that you may eat.

Part of it is habit. We are so used to eating that pastry at breakfast, or the chocolate bar in the afternoon, or the deli meat & cheese sandwich for lunch, that we can’t imagine anything else that might satisfy our cravings!

I knew from experience that the day I started this 31 day cleanse and challenge to a healthier life, all the fabulous recipes I had been reading about and looking forward to making & eating would suddenly flee from my mind. So, I made a list! And yes, just like predicted, the great ideas fled as I faced day number one (yesterday). But, list to the rescue!

Here are a couple of recipes I hope you will enjoy. And I will try to post several more each week this month!

First I have to say that I am just *loving* the new book and DVD series by Shoshanna Pearl Easling called Making Babies. The cookbook is a work of art and the DVDs are the perfect compliment to inspire you in the kitchen and teach you about herbs. Now I know the title might put some of you off since you are not in the “baby making” years of your life, but really, if you have any desire to learn some about herbs, delcious & healthy foods, I’m sure you would enjoy this series as well.

__________________________________________________________________

The following two recipes are from the book, Making Babies.

Enzyme Smoothie
(dairy free!)
2 T. orange juice concentrate
1/8 cup banana (about 3 pieces)
1/4 cup papaya, cubed
1/4 cup mango, cubed
1/2 cup blueberries
3/4 cup coconut water
1/2 cup ice
1 kale leaf
5 strawberries (optional)
1/2 tsp. Herba-Smoothie mix found at Bulk Herb Store (optional)

Fruit can be frozen or fresh. If fruit is frozen you can omit the ice and add more coconut water.

1. In a blender combine all ingredients. Blend until smooth. Enjoy! Serves 1-2

**I omitted the strawberries & ice, and used the mixed frozen berries from Costco instead of blueberries.
I also used about 1/2 cup of coconut milk in addition to the coconut water to add a bit of creaminess. Delicious!**

Chewy Chocolate Bars

1 cup almond butter
3 cups coconut flakes, unsweetened
2/3 cup cocoa powder
2/3 cup raw honey
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup almond flour (optional)

Place all ingredients in a food processor or bread machine and blend until combined.
In a shallow baking dish, spread mixture evenly to desired thickness.
Refrigerate until chocolate is firm.
Cut into bars and serve.

**I didn’t add the almond flour. I think it would have made my bars too dry because they were perfect as they were.
I used my hand-mixer to mix them and it worked well. These could easily be made into “balls” similar to fiber balls.
Mmm, these are so-o-o good!**

_________________________________________

Our dinner last night consisted of this:

Tilapia on a Bed of Herban Rice with Asparagus!
The sun was quickly fading, so the picture doesn’t look so great,
but, again, delicious inspiration from the Making Babies book.
See, I told you I was in love with my new cookbook!

and this for dessert . . .

Stuffed Baked Apples with Walnuts & Dates
found at FamilyFreshCooking~a treasure of great recipes I recently discovered!

**I used pecans because it’s what I have on hand, and I used less apples than the recipe, therefore giving more “filling” to each apples, which I liked. Other than that I made them exactly like the recipe and they were great! Husband & kids drizzled a little maple syrup on top for added sweetness, but I had mine with only the dates for sweetness. Nice!**

Gotta go. Enjoy your day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

9 Responses to Focus on What You May Eat!

1. Mary June Miller March 3, 2012 at 11:17 am #

I know you know we share this passion – but this really is just the ‘boost’ I needed! I have not been doing so well with food since I’m pregnant – something about this yuck feeling just doesn’t help with wanting to eat well – which of course is a vicious cycle, cuz then I don’t feel well to cook well – and on it goes! ( :
    I wanna reach through the screen and eat some – maybe licking the screen will have to do for now!

Thanks for the inspiration!!! Mj

2. Rebekah Martin March 3, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

thanks for the ideas! i’ve had some little cheats already and we’re already only three days into this. yikes! but i’m focusing on how much better i’m eating and how good it feels to be getting out and running every day again. not going to beat myself up over the mistakes. i haven’t been making any creative foods like this… just lots of salad, bean soup and more salad!:) i might need to get creative… but I don’t have any of these ingredients on hand… hmm… i have made just regular smoothies. frozen peaches, strawberries, frozen banana and orange juice.

• Shelly March 5, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

Rebekah~ I really am excited to have you doing this too! My thots go over your way probably at least once a day ’cause I know you’re in it. :) The consistent exercise is big for me too . . . and so far I’ve been doing really well with the eating part as well. I’d like to add some cleanse/detox stuff in now that I got my order in the mail yesterday. Keep it up and thanks for “reporting” back. :)

Mary June~ Yes, I know you share the passion. At times when you’ve been eating super well and I haven’t been, you have been a challenge to me. And the running . . . oh the running. How many times I think to myself, “If MJ can, why can’t *I*.” :) Pregnancy IS hard. Why do we hate our greens so much at a time when we need them the most?? I don’t get it, but I sure do want to really, really try to do better with that when my turn comes around again! Take care of that baby and yourself now!

3. kara stoltzfus March 5, 2012 at 8:50 am #

Proud of you!
    I will continue to think of you, while I am also up at 4:45am to run 3-4 mile every morning & wish you the best of success!
    way to go.

4. mart March 5, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

I just love your blog!you are so inspiring!love these recipes.more,more please!!I’m trying to eat heathier,but its almost overwhelming..if u know what i mean:)these recipes give me that boost!thanx…

• Shelly March 5, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

Mart~ thanks for the encouragement! i wish you well in making those daily choices for health, and I definitely want to post more recipes soon as I have been having a lot of fun in the kitchen trying out new things!

Kara~ you are still a huge motivator for me a whole year later . . . I have many of your emails to me printed and read them once in a while! You know how to say it like it is in as few words as possible. :) I went up a few pounds over Christmas and got into a sugar slump over that time . . . oh wait, the sugar and carbs probably came first and then the weight. So, started doing better in Feb and now am so thrilled to be doing this whole March health thing-a-ma-jig. I love the constant, steady people like you who do your stuff through thick and thin . . . that’s my goal! Someday when I “grow up”. ;) Thanks.

5. Rebekah Martin March 6, 2012 at 7:16 am #

thanks! i’m loving the challenge. yesterday there was no way i could get out to run, but instead i did a bunch of sit ups, and then ran up and down the stairs for a while. enough that i’m sore today!:) the old me would have been like bummer i can’t run today, so i guess i’ll just have to miss my exercise today!:) i’ve lost a pound so far. i only wanted to lose two, so i’m already there and only a few days into the challenge!:) more than two is fine with me… but i lost 22 in the past year and Jeremy was starting to freak out and wanted me to stop losing… so we’ll see what happens!:) it feels so good to be working out again every day. this was just the motivation I needed. and spring is JUST around the corner. YAY!!

6. rosa March 21, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

was wondering if you can substitute agave nectar for honey in these recipes?

• Shelly March 26, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

I believe you could substitute agave nectar for honey in most cases. You might have to play around with it a little since agave may be less sweet and a little more runny than honey. I know I have often exchanged one for the other, but, say for example with fiber balls or chewy chocolate bars, the agave seems that it might be a little “thin”, so maybe you’d have to add a little more of the dry ingredients to make it work. Let me know what you discover!