You Won’t Catch Me With Other Gingerbread Men!

This is for the momma {and others like her} whose son has been begging to make gingerbread cookies. You simply can’t go wrong with this easy, peasy recipe. My sil Lil shared it with me last year and I know that as long as my children are young, these will be our gingerbread men of choice! And maybe, because the scraps from these things are my favorite part, I’ll be making them long after the children are out of the house.

Easy Gingerbread Cookies
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
 1/4 cup molasses
2 teaspoons soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ginger
2 1/2 cups flour
Melt butter and cool for 5 minutes. Mix in all other ingredients.
{Batter will be thick.} Spread in a 10×15 cookie sheet/jelly roll pan.
Bake at 350* for 10-20 minutes.
Cool 5 minutes. Cut shapes!
You can sprinkle with 2 TB sugar before baking.
or
You can dust them lightly with powdered sugar after they are cooled.
or
You can be all fancy and fun for your children’s enjoyment and make white icing.
I used a quick-hardening recipe I found online,
and I’d link you to it, but can’t find it at this moment.
Sorry, you’re on your own.
And then the children put on their little sprinkles,
chocolate chips, raisins, mini m&m’s . . .
or whatever you have on hand.
{which wasn’t much in our case}
Notes: I have no idea why the baking time says 10 -20 minutes.
Seems like a huge difference. Of course, as with any cookie,
if you prefer them more crispy, you definitely bake longer.
I like these at about 12 minutes. Just right! :)

Whole wheat flour, spelt, raw sugar, or demerara sugar
can be substituted pretty easily for a more healthy cookie!

{my computer is not health-minded!
he doesn’t know how to spell these ingredients at all!
i may have to give him an education . . .}
And now for the best part . . .
yes, the best part of these cookies,
in my opinion, is the scraps.
So *good* to eat.
And pretty to look at.
{And no one really keeps track of how many scraps you eat!}
You just drizzle all your leftover icing over the tops,
let them dry, and then store them in a pretty jar.
Be sure to hide them well from yourself.
I wasn’t too successful with this part!
Happy Baking!
Your children will love you. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

11 Responses to You Won’t Catch Me With Other Gingerbread Men!

1. Thelma December 22, 2011 at 8:23 pm #

yum! i think i might need some of these yet sometime this cmas season!

2. he can move mountains December 23, 2011 at 1:10 am #

i love it!! i forgot about these, i must make them tomorrow! i'll just follow your recipe now. I am SO with you in eating the scraps. I always eat broken things first and then whole pieces, especially in shaped foods like animal crackers and such. m-m-m

3. he can move mountains December 23, 2011 at 7:39 pm #

i made 'em and the girls are gobbling down the scraps!! i hadn't made 'em for years. did i mention to you that Aunt Kathy says you must use 'Grandma's Molasses'? i noticed this exact recipe is on the jar, only with shortening and brown sugar and they are to be cookies.

thanks again for the reminder!

4. 4iamjustanotherblogger December 24, 2011 at 3:24 am #

what a good way to make these!! can't wait to try it!

5. todays date February 13, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

i love your blog, i have it in my rss reader and always like new things coming up from it.

6. carmen December 10, 2013 at 9:47 am #

Oh thank you for this reminder!! I’ll definitely have to try it this year. Maybe even today. =) ??
    I’m thinking melted white chocolate would be yummy drizzle for those leftovers! =) mmmm
    Have a happy day!

• Shelly December 14, 2013 at 6:27 am #

I love your white chocolate idea. We did a little of white icing and some with the white chocolate, and of course the chocolate ones win. :)

7. Shannon December 10, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

We need something to snack on around here… gonna have to go check ingredients. :)

• Shelly December 14, 2013 at 6:26 am #

I hope you had those ingredients on hand . . . or will get them soon. So worth it! :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Oh, This {Wonderful} Time of Year | The Gratitude Journal - December 19, 2013

[…] {Making our favorite gingerbread cutouts~recipe here} […]

2. Linky Love | Live fully. - December 2, 2014

[…] easy Gingerbread Men from the Gratitude Journal are the way to go. All you do is make your batter, spread it on a baking […]

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes