Oh The Things You Can Do . . .

{with Almond Flour}

One of the most difficult parts of the first phase of the Maker’s Diet for us
is not being able to sink our teeth into bread,
or most any type of starch for that matter.
No potatoes
No beans
And definitely no bread.
Lentils are about as starchy as you can get.
That’s when almond flour comes in really, really big.
I don’t know what we would do without it.
Especially when a man like my husband lives
for the next “baked good” he can consume.
Now, admittedly, by baking things with almond flour,
we did go a little over our “1 TB of honey” per day per person limit.
But we figured since we weren’t on this health plan to save our lives,
a little extra honey couldn’t hurt too much.
So without further adieu,
here are some of our favorite ways to use almond flour.
_______________________________________________
Almond Pancakes
{not original with me, but I’m happy to pass it on.
Oh, and almond flour can usually be purchased at a health food store
or you can grind your own raw almonds in a coffee grinder or other food processor.}

4 eggs
1 cup almond flour
2 T. honey
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. saltBeat eggs and add all other ingredients.
Fry in butter on low/medium heat.
Makes 6, 4″ pancakes
Top with maple syrup, dollop of yogurt, and fresh fruit.

{We drizzled a little honey over the fruit since we weren’t eating maple syrup.}

_______________________________________________________________

Almond Flour Chocolate Cupcakes

2 T melted butter
1 T. water
1 egg
1/4 cup honey or about 5 T. sugar
1 T. cocoa powder
1/4 t. baking powder
1/4 cup almond flour

Blend wet ingredients and then add all dry ingredients.
Pour into a muffin tins
Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes
Makes just a couple of muffins, so you may have to double the recipe.
Eat warm with whipped cream.

_______________________________________________________

Almond Flour Pound Cake

{Which I usually just bake in big individual muffin tins.
This recipe can also be turned into chocolate cake
~a larger amount than the previous recipe~
by omitting the lemon extract and adding cocoa.}

1 cup butter and/or Coconut Oil
1/2 cup honey
5 eggs
2 cups almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon lemon extract or grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Again, just blend wet ingredients first, add in the dry.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-18 minutes {for muffins,~cake takes longer of course}
These tend to burn easily, I think because of the high egg content.
So a lower, slower oven is better than too hot or fast.
Just watch ’em!
And then enjoy.

Esther from Fleur Cottage told me about
this lady’s amazing website which has many recipes for almond flour.
So interesting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

, ,

7 Responses to Oh The Things You Can Do . . .

1. MaryJuneMiller October 7, 2011 at 2:07 am #

Yum – yeah – these definitely kept us from going completely crazy! You are inspiring me to go through the Maker's again!

2. Shelly October 7, 2011 at 2:12 am #

@MaryJune
    2 weeks of each phase seems like such a looong time *at the time*, but wow, it was worth it for us to even do just 3 weeks. And, YES, the pancakes do keep you sane when you just aren't in the mood to eat eggs for breakfast~again.

3. Karena October 10, 2011 at 1:36 am #

Shelly yum!! I am amazed at these recipes and will try them for sure!!

I would love your thoughts on my Autumn decor so far, oh and I have a new giveaway as well!

xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena

4. Rochelle Matthews Stoltzfus October 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

So excited to try these! I had been been doing something very similar to the Maker's Diet since February – but then as I started feeling better was slowly (and then rapidly : ) adding back items in my normal/previous diet. I have been realizing I want to get back to being stricter, for the sake of feeling good!
    I have said to a number of people, I don't think it would be nearly as hard to be on this diet if I had time to play around with recipes and cooking (something I enjoy doing when I have time) because there are so many ways to be creative and make substitutes for things you want to have but aren't supposed to. …All that to say, thanks for sharing these recipes!

5. Rochelle Matthews Stoltzfus October 11, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

One other thing, do you use amaranth or quinoa/have some good recipes for either? I have amaranth sitting in my pantry, I was going to look up ways to use it and just haven't. And I haven't use the quinoa much, because I haven't found a great way to eat it. Any recipes/ideas?

6. clarita October 11, 2011 at 5:13 pm #

Goodness, I miss you on here. :) With not having internet at our apartment, I don't miss the social stuff (fb, etc, since I'm hardly on that anyway) but I do miss keeping up with my friends with their blogs and emails… So I guess I'll just have to pop in and say hi when I can. :)

Your pictures on here are just beautiful!! Can't say I've ever been inspired to try the Maker's Diet. :) But if I ever do, you will be the one I go to to ask advice from. :)

You asked for our address in CO…
    138 Beacon Way Unit F
    Windsor, CO 80550

And it's lovely out here… Weather is perfection! We're trying to find a new sort of normal, which includsd Pre-K for Zoe, and lots of reading. :) AND they're still on Eastern time zone, which means rising at Very Early Hours, sadly. :) Anyway, I'll just call one of these days and we can catch up again for real!
    xoxo

7. Shelly October 13, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

@Rochelle
    Oh, I know all too well how easy it is to slip back into all the foods available to our poor bodies! I look at Phil sternly at times (esp on trips or when we go out) and ask him to pleeeease help me be good, preach to me, or whatever it takes to help me stay on track. :) I'm sorry, but I don't have any experience with the amaranth or quinoa. Makes me curious tho. I should look into using them!

@Clarita
    Oh, I miss knowing you're "around" (online) too. We'll have to keep the USPS extra busy while you're in CO. So happy to know you arrived safely and are settling in. Can't wait to hear more!!

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes