A Room For A Boy

How long ago was it that I sorta kinda promised to do a tour of our new place?
I don’t even remember! But I do know that I finally admitted to myself that
1.) I want everything to be “perfect” before showing it off.
2.) “Perfect” just never really happens, especially when
3.) Home Decor is not my strong point, so therefore,
4.) I work very slowly and find that . . .
5.) It can be quite a process to decide on what I want and then . . .
6.) To find the $$ or the time or the skill to make it happen is often a challenge.

HERE’s the little Mudroom tour I did last Spring.
I’ve added a gallary wall of sorts which I want to show sometime!
And HERE is the decorating Aimee did in our School Room last year.
It’s still the one room that needs work to make it function as the room
we designed on the blueprint, but Aimee made it lovely and cheery in the “meanwhile”.

So, slowly but surely, a few more things do eventually get finished
~or nearly finished, and today I’m excited to show you D’s room!

boy room 1

If you are a Jones Design Company fan/blog reader,
and you feel that this room looks similar to something you’ve seen before . . .
you, my friend, are probably on to something!

Since, as I mentioned before, I often feel at a loss
in visualizing and pulling together the look I want for each room in our house . . .
but when I see something another brilliant soul has put together, I love it!
And so, when I came across what Emily had done for her sons’ bedroom,
I boldly and unashamedly decided to {gasp} COPY her!

So here are our “before” pictures in all their glory.
room before

We already had the room painted in a color I love:
Hat Box (a true value paint color, but matched in a Benjamin Moore paint),
and I bought the reclaimed wood sign from Aimee about a year ago.
But besides that, everything was the same as the day we moved in.

So, basically following the “source list” as laid out here:
I got busy and began to pull together our own version of a “vintage-outdoorsy” room.

boy room 11
The bedding & pillows are from West Elm, H&M, & Ross,
the lamp from Target a long time ago,
and the sign from aimeeweaverdesigns.com

boy room 8

The stars poster was purchased online,
the chair from an auction,
pillow cover from H&M,
the wool Swiss Army blanket from sportsmansguide.com,
the horse from a fun thrift shopping day in Georgia,
the yellow metal ball thingy from HomeGoods.

And about that metal ball thingy . . .
I really wanted it to be hung as a light fixture,
but it is pretty heavy and I have to figure out how to hang it . . .
or convince the husband that it should be done. :)

boy room 7
The window hardware is from Bed, Bath & Beyond,
and the curtains were hemmed up by yours truly out of painters drop cloth.

boy room 6
One of the things that excites me most about the room right now
is the magic that my sister Katelyn worked on the closet several weeks ago.

When we were building the house, I requested that the closets in this room
and in the girls’ room not have any doors added.
I find folding closet doors to be combersome, finger pinchers,
and well, just in my way for the most part.
Plus, I thought that without doors, maybe we’d be motivated
to keep things organized and neat at all times. :)

Along with the open closets, I wanted them to have something special going on,
namely board & batten or some type of wood walls, much like our mudroom.
I failed to mention or MAKE SURE that my builder husband
remembered this important detail however, and before I knew it was time,
and before I had a chance to make sure he knew what I was dreaming,
he and a brother in law were installing all of the closet shelving one day . . .
I was so disappointed! And can’t say that I got over that (my) mistake too quickly!

boy room 2
So ever since, I’ve been pondering other options. Wall paper? Paint? What??
Finally, with my project-loving sister visiting, I was inspired with yet another JDC idea.
So we used her wall stencil, but painted it a little differently.
I just LOVE the end result!
It turns a plain white closet into a special little nook, I think.
And I’m sooooo grateful for a sister who invested hours into painting it!
I basically promised her that we’d never paint over it. :)

boy room 3

boy room 4

boy room 5
The little gallery wall/collage area is still needing a few things.
Namely a couple of photos of my son,
and this print that I’ll buy when my
“household goods” budget envelope is replenished.

il_570xN.329647185{art print from the hailtiger etsy shop}

A European skull mount from one of my husband’s deer hunts
will also find a home in this room when we bring it home from the cabin.

I’m still keeping my eye open for a nice, simple head board . . .

. . . . and the wall where the little cork board is overrun with D’s special-to-him papers,
I’m thinking it would be nice to either make it much bigger and/or
hang a huge chalk board there as well. We will see.
For now, I let him keep on pinning things like his first 5K racing number,
marking days off on his calendar,
or hanging whatever verses and Sunday School papers he desires. :)

boy room 10

And that’s how this room stands for now.
He and I both are pleased with how it’s turned out so far.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

22 Responses to A Room For A Boy

1. Clarita March 11, 2014 at 4:17 pm #

That is SO unreal awesome! JDC has nothing on you, girl. :) I LOVE the Swiss Army logo blanket, the striped bedding, the thrifted horse :), and the closet!! Equally amazing as the painted stencil is your organization in that closet! For the life of me, I don’t think I could have a closet that looks that orderly and minimalistic! I’m just WOWED, for real. And the Aimee Weaver artwork serves so beautifully as a headboard, I think. It is all just magazine-worthy! I’m just so super impressed. And now I wish for something to redecorate, you’re just SO inspiring. :) xoxo

• Shelly March 12, 2014 at 3:27 pm #

Oh my goodness, if you aren’t a shot in the arm. I really and truly had this post done and sitting in “draft” mode for a couple of weeks because . . . I’m just not super brave to post my house stuff. Food? Any day! But this is “more scarier”. :) Now to move on to the rest of the house . . . If *only* you’d live close by to help {is what I’ve told myself a 1000 times}. xoxo to you too.

2. Brenda March 11, 2014 at 4:48 pm #

I’m not in favor of folding doors either. But I do like doors. My solution is regular doors that work like cabinet doors with no strip between. In other words the doors meet in the middle. Does that make sense? They don’t have regular door latches, they have some type of cabinet door latches at the top.

• Shelly March 12, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

Brenda, great idea for a different kind of closet door! Thanks for sharing!

3. Cindy March 11, 2014 at 5:10 pm #

I love it!! It all looks so clean and inviting! And I love the closet!! You have reason to be proud!

4. Rebekah March 11, 2014 at 5:13 pm #

wow!!!!!! this is beyond amazing!!!! i dream of a day when we have a three bedroom house and i can decorate a boy’s room and a girls room… but until them i am working on the art of contentment and my organizational abilities that are a MUST with five children’s stuff in one room. this is just an awesome, awesome room. i love it!!!!

• Shelly March 12, 2014 at 3:31 pm #

Thanks Rebekah! I know all about tight quarters and making do in little spaces . . . though I didn’t have to do it quite as long or with as many as you are! Props to you and the contentment you’re choosing . . . and I hope you get to decorate a boy room and a girl room one day! :)

5. Aimee March 11, 2014 at 6:38 pm #

You did an AMAZING job on his bedroom!!! I love the outdoorsy-vintage vibe you have going on and that closet!!! SO fun to see one of my signs in your home!

• Shelly March 12, 2014 at 3:32 pm #

Thanks, Aimee! And we love the sign. I love to pray this for him at night~and having it right there in big bold print reminds me to pray!

6. Angie March 11, 2014 at 7:35 pm #

Very, very nicely done!! I love it! :) I’m going to copy your curtain-hanging idea someday ……

7. Kim March 12, 2014 at 7:00 am #

Well, this proves that the human heart is never content. I love what I see, but now I am not content until we get to see MORE of your lovely home. Oh so well done on this young man’s room!
    And, what a sister you have! Isn’t she just the most generous young lady with her time of service to you!

• Shelly March 12, 2014 at 3:34 pm #

Thanks, Kim. You made me smile. :) I’m going to try to post about the other rooms in the house throughout the year!

8. Joleen March 12, 2014 at 8:49 am #

Girl, I don’t know what you’re talking about when you say you’re not that great with decorating. You’ve really got it going on with this room! I think it is absolutely lovely. Nicely done.

• Shelly March 12, 2014 at 3:40 pm #

Thanks, Joleen! Maybe I’ll stop saying that I’m not good at it . . . but I don’t know that I’ll ever LOVE it or feel CONFIDENT in it. If i’d have unlimited $$$ I’d pay someone else to decorate my house~in a heart beat~while I’d be down in the kitchen cooking up a storm . . . or creating photobooks or something where I feel more confident. ;)

9. Marla March 12, 2014 at 10:24 am #

I love everything about it!!! You are amazing!

10. Thelma March 12, 2014 at 3:34 pm #

i agree with Jolene. what is this not-good-at-decorating of which you speak???
    i really really like how it turned out. I might steal that red chair next time I am at your house, along with the army blanket.
    The closet looks fabulous too, props to your sister!

• Shelly March 12, 2014 at 3:45 pm #

Do you and I always love the same chairs?? And maybe we both just love chairs! :) I LOVE chairs and want/need about 5 more of various sizes and awesomeness since I’ve decided the best way to live is to have a comfy chair to sink into in each room of my house!! It’s so inviting and begs me to stay awhile to talk with whoever is in that room, to hold a child, or for reading! So IF you come across any really cool ones that you can’t buy for one reason or another, please put the bug in my ear! Seriously!

• Thelma March 12, 2014 at 10:41 pm #

we do. and we do.
        I’m still on a search for the perfect one for our MasterBedroom too. but i never get the cool auctions that sell them.

Did i mention i really really love how the room turned out. if i could find a room that i loved that I could copy for our master bedroom i so would.

11. Ang March 13, 2014 at 10:22 am #

O my word Shelly!!! O my word! I can barely even believe that decorating is challenging for you based on the pictures I’ve seen of your beautiful home!!!! Although I can completely relate to the first few points of this post. This is amazing. And inspiring. And to top it off you have a newborn in your midst!!! Well done mama! I’m sure D feels so special & loved in this sweet space you’ve created for him!

12. Beth March 17, 2014 at 11:53 am #

cute!

13. Bonnie Hitchcock April 29, 2014 at 1:13 pm #

Would it be okay if I download this photo and show on my blog. I would reference back to you. I don’t really know how to download, but could just link to your post.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 8 Things That I’m Loving Right Now | The Thrifty Frugal Mom - March 12, 2014

[…] for me but I love getting inspiration from others who are gifted in this area.  And when I saw this freshly decorated boys room in gray and red I was inspired.  In fact, it made me want to tackle some decorating that desperately needs to […]